Friday, August 12, 2011

THE SHEIKH ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE IN ABU DHABI

THE SHEIKH ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE



THE LIGHTING






THE EXPERIENCE


During the month of Ramadan, right before the sun sets, the Grand Mosque will feed their people for Iftar. Iftar is the term used when referring to the evening meal in which Muslims will break their fast during the Islamic month of Ramadan.  I was very fortunate to share this experience with three other American teachers.  As we walked onto the grounds, I saw three large tents and heard a man on a bullhorn from afar speaking arabic. There were a small group of men running towards the man as though they were in a hurry to get settled in before the sun went down.  As he got closer to us, it appeared as though he was escorting us to one of the tents where the women and children were placed to eat separately from the men.  As we continued to walk towards the tent, two men riding a golf cart, stopped and offered us a choice of water or juice from a small cooler located on the back of the cart.  Once we arrived to the air conditioned tent, it was time to eat.  I observed mothers and children eating for the first time allday.  I removed my shoes and I could see the locals (women and children) all seated in rows on the floor with their boxed dinners.  We were greeted by a wonderful Muslim woman who asked for us to come in to sit and eat.  There was plenty of food for everyone.  I sat in front of a box dinner that had lamb in it.  Other boxes had goat over rice along with lentil stew with okra (yummy), fresh vegetables, dates and an apple.  There was also a small red bag that had a juice box, water and milk in it.   The locals didn't seem to be concerned that we where there, they too was just as hungry as I was.  Now, it is illegal to eat in public, chew gum or drink liquids during this time.  Therefore, since I had been out all day, I wanted to be mindful and respectful towards the muslim culture during the month of Ramadan by not eating or drinking.  Typically, children and women who are pregnant, amongst a few other exceptions, are not expected to fast during this time.  As I ate my meal, I noticed that any leftovers were taken by the local arabic families.  Little children collected the small red bags of beverages while the mothers collected the leftover boxes.  What an AMAZING cultural experience overall!  Just to have this opportunity is a blessing and one that I will never forget.





MY VIDEOS

Before Sunset


(Problem with uploading video. : (  When I figure it out I will post a little later)


After Sunset